Saturday, 14 July 2012

oldschool... just don't try this in your kitchen...

 the plans of mice and men...
I ordered one guide in two sizes (+4 and +5) when I thought only one exhaust guide needed replacing.
(The valve guides listed when the engine was originally built were +4's,
inlet and exhaust) 
Lucky me, I had ordered two guides as both exhausts were fucked.
The old guides turned out to be a +2 and a +4 and measured only one thou between them... 
and nowhere near the same real measurement of the new guides. 
So we needed a lathe... or... 
Ray to the rescue, chucked them up on his drill and with a bit of wood 
and emery paper we sized the the guides down to fit.
in the oven and heat to gas mark 5 or for fan ovens, 200˚... 
(handy things kitchens, heheh)
 pressing out the guides...
 with home made press... 
 in with the new expensive bronze guides...
 purchased a set of reamers...
 reamed the new guides to size of new valves with tuition from Ray...
New Kibblewhite black diamond (as in fucking expensive) exhaust valves 
Fuck... another heart attack... they were not the correct replacements.! 
Most (available) valves are listed as correct for '66 to '84 Shovels
 - late '81 up are different...
In the end we measured up these and figured they would be OK.
 and are fitted with the new viton valve seals
Phew, three weeks later all done, 
with props to my friend Ray (of trike fame) 
for his invaluable help and guidance!

1 comment:

roland said...

well done Trev, see ya soon